Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Back to the basics-

So, I went to a book club tonight at church called 'Bagels and Books'. Although there are not bagels because it is 7pm at night, but that is besides the point. Anyway, we were discussing a book that we read called The Good and Beautiful God. Well, I didn't finish it because of many reasons but I have enjoyed what I've read in it so far.

I'm not even sure that this was in the book but one of the ladies said something that I really appreciated...

"Rather than try to learn more and more and more, what would it be like if we practiced living out what we already knew?"

So basic. So simple. So true. We strive to gain more knowlegdge, to put more facts into our brains, to get a better grasp on the meaning of life. However, if you are like me you have a set of basic principles that you believe in. For me (and I hope one day for YOU as well if not already) those basic principles are my faith in God and the Truth that has been set forth in the Bible. I don't know how many times I have wished that I could just take a few courses at a college on the Bible. Or how I wish I just knew more history or background. Or how I wish I could just read through the whole entire Bible. Or maybe memorize MORE verses.

It's not about quantity people. It's not about how much you know. It's about HOW you live and HOW you impact the peoples' lives around you.

So as I end this post, I ask myself...what do I already know about God? What do I know to be true of my faith?

I am praying that God will lead me to a small portion in His word that I can marinate in awhile.

Solidify my faith Lord so that it may stand against the test of time and trials.

No comments: