Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Elliette's Birthday!

Praise God! I was able to have the VBAC that I have researched and prayed so hard for and here is my story for those of you interested:

On Thursday, July 29 at around noon Chelsea and I were about to head out for some coffee at Noble Coffee & Tea. She took me by the house so I could grab a few things. I came outside and said hello to the neighbor and while I was standing on my porch noticed an all too familiar release of liquid. I ran back inside and checked and changed and decided that my water had broken. I called the doctor and she said to come in at 1:45 since I wasn't having any contractions. I was fine with this, because for my first baby I didn't have contractions on my own either and wanted to prolong going in to the hospital.

So, I called Mark and he came home and showered and we headed to the hospital with a quick stop at McDonald's since he hadn't had lunch yet. We waited in the waiting room for a while as I soaked through pads, eager to get admitted but unsure of what to expect.

We were admitted sometime close to 3 and we spent several hours walking through the hallway and then getting back into the bed to be monitored and so on. It must have been about 8pm I finally decided to get the Pitocin since I still wasn't having any real contractions and BOY did they start up then! I had been at 3cm since Monday but after 4 hours of being on the Pitocin I was up to 5-6cm. At this point I was crying through the contractions and decided to get the epidural around midnight. I was worried that my progress would slow as I was strapped to the bed at this point, but I couldn't handle the pain any longer.

That epidural was a gift straight from God, I loved it!!! I rested and then about 4am was checked again and was at 9cm and almost read to push. Mark made some phone calls and family headed to the hospital.

With Mark at my side (a little nervous, I think) I pushed for less than 2 hours. The dr. set up the mirror and stayed with me pretty much the whole time along with an amazing nurse. The doctor kept reminding me how much I wanted the VBAC and how she knew I could do it. I focused on that dark head of hair and the fact that I could do this and how amazing it was how close I was to my goal!!!!

Elliette Jane McAfee made her entrance at 4:56am on the morning of July 30, 2010 weighing 7 lbs 6 oz. and at 20.5inches long. She is a healthy and content baby and I am thankful to God for her and her delivery. What a blessing!!!!!

The blessings continue....

Elliette latched on like it was her job. She is a GREAT nurser and I am thankful to be making more than enough milk (or so it seems at the moment!). What a totally different experience.

It wasn't painless or easy, I'm sore from my 2nd degree tear and stitches but overall this was WAY better than a C-Section. I was eating, showering, and up and moving the first day in the hospital.

The m ost important thing is that we are both healthy and happy!

No comments: