Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Joys of Teaching

Don't get me wrong, I do love teaching. I enjoy working with children and I love knowing that I have expanded their knowledge. More than that I love influencing a student to love to learn.

However,

I am finding it quite exhausting. It is 8:45 and I am just now sitting down to start grading the monster load of papers that I have from the past couple of days. It would be so bad, except the day itself is draining. 20% of my class are 5 boys that are disrespectful, disruptive, and definitely not excited to learn. These 20% of students take 90% of my attention and energy during the school day. They take away from the rest of my class. Even the students that are lower achieving than everyone else are willing to try and do the right thing. I don't ask for "smart" students. I don't even ask for students to be good all of the time. All I ask if that you respect me and those around you. I ask that you at the very least try everything I ask of you, rather than wasting both of our times.

You know, I really do despise complaining. Other than getting it off of my chest, I believe that it does no good except make a person more angry or bitter with their situation. So...that is where YOU come in. I feel as though I've tried everything. They are behavior sheets, check in/out with other adults in the building, miss recess, contact home, use humor, use trying to catch them doing it right, use choices, use breaks, use positive language and rewards, etc, etc, etc.

HELP!!!! It is my personal goal to provide the other 80% of my class with quality education and a safe and encouraging environment. How can I enthusiastically teach 20 of my children while 5 are walking around the room, talking out, shouting out answers, poking/touching others, or whatever else they can think of doing.

P.S. I am going out of my way to make life easier and more fun for the students who are usually doing the right thing. I give them extra rewards and make sure I am always letting know that I appreciate them as a person and a student. I even had a parent call and thank me for making her daughter feel special. This particular girl has told her mom that because of her good behavior in classrooms full of behavior problem students, she often feels invisible to the teacher. She thanked me for going out of my way to notice and involve her positively in the classroom. That alone makes it all worth it.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I wish I had more than a verbal pat on the back for you. I have so much admiration for teachers!!